Hey everyone!! I created this blog in order to keep in touch with all of my friends and family while in Buenos Aires, Argentina! I plan on posting a few times a week, so that I can keep you all updated on what God is doing in Argentina!! Thank you all so so much for your wonderful support!
Sunday, May 27, 2012
Isaiah 40
25 “To whom will you compare me?
Who is my equal?” asks the Holy One.
26 Look up into the heavens.
Who created all the stars?
He brings them out like an army, one after another,
calling each by its name.
Because of his great power and incomparable strength,
not a single one is missing.
27 O Jacob, how can you say the Lord does not see your troubles?
O Israel, how can you say God ignores your rights?
28 Have you never heard?
Have you never understood?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of all the earth.
He never grows weak or weary.
No one can measure the depths of his understanding.
29 He gives power to the weak
and strength to the powerless.
30 Even youths will become weak and tired,
and young men will fall in exhaustion.
31 But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength.
They will soar high on wings like eagles.
They will run and not grow weary.
They will walk and not faint.
It's amazing how God can show us just the right verses at just the right moments. The biggest thing I have been leaning since I have been in Buenos Aires is just how hard evangelism is. Of course I wasn't expecting this trip to be easy, but I have come to find out how emotionally and physically draining it is to share the Gospel on these college campuses. I didn't expect it to be so difficult for me step out of my comfort zone and tell these students about my relationship with Jesus Christ. Attempting to transition conversations from "What's your favorite kind of empanada?" to "so have you heard that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins?" has been challenging. I will even admit that on more than one occasion throughout the past week I have questioned what exactly I am doing here and just what I have gotten myself into. Was I ready for this? Am I even strong enough in my own walk with the Lord to be telling others about him? Can I really do this? And then last night it hit me. The truth is I had been so caught up in focusing on my own faults failures and inadequacies that I had momentarily forgotten one crucial fact... I am not here alone. Yes, I will mess up and I will say the wrong things and I will make awkward conversational transistions, and I will get laughed at and rejected. And if it were all up to me, then the city of Buenos Aires would be in some serious trouble. But thank the Lord, it is not up to me. My worries are pointless, because I am not even the one doing the work here. God doesn't need me to do amazing things here in this city, he has only blessed me with the privilege of watching them unfold. Yes it is emotionally draining to have an hour long conversation with a student who disagrees with everything you say, but I am not alone. Although I may grow tired and weary and discouraged, my God never will. He meets me in my weakness and gives me strength. This is the first time in my life that I have had to rely on God for all of my strength. He has taught me what it looks like to trust in His plan wholeheartedly and given me the confidence of knowing that he is in control. God has shown me through Iasiah 40 that I don't need to worry about being good enough or saying the right words to these Argentine students. He is in control and He is God and there is comfort in that.
Now... All that being said, I hope you don't all think I am miserable here and having a horrible time, because that is certainly not the case! Yes, God has been teaching me some tough lessons and I was in for a small wake up call, but I am still love love loving the city of Buenos Aires! The people here are more honest and sharing than any culture I have ever experienced in the states. I am so thankful to be here to witness the amazing things God is doing here! Oh, and while I was busy feeling sorry for myself and learning some good lessons last week, 3 Argentine students came to know the Lord on my campus! God is so good, all the time! Please pray that new believers will continue to rise up and that God will better enable me to share his love with these students. Thank you all so very very much for all of your prayers! And for reading this forever long post! It means the world to me to know that I have so many supporters back home. Love you all! Besos :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Wow! Thanks baby, I needed that. I am very proud and happy to watch you grow in faith through your experience. You also reminded that even middle-aged guys still have some growing left to do.
ReplyDeleteI Love You! Dad
Something you said really hit home with me: "Was I ready for this? Am I even strong enough in my own walk with the Lord to be telling others about him? Can I really do this? And then last night it hit me. The truth is I had been so caught up in focusing on my own faults failures and inadequacies that I had momentarily forgotten one crucial fact... I am not here alone."
ReplyDeleteLately, I've been going through some of the same questions on a smaller scale, and more as it relates to my continued struggles with faith and understanding, and the steps I felt like I needed to take that were halted by these same questions. And finally, I decided that it didn't matter - I am not here alone, and I will do the best I can with God's guidance.
I thank your dad for sending your blog to me, and I hope and pray the best for you in your mission work!
- Michael